Join the Travel Hacking Cartel

Sunday, February 20, 2011

"Donde está, Hache y Eme?"


The Great Mosque of Córdoba

The past few days are all in a blur right now. From Thursday ‘til this morning it has been an unending list of activities.
Thursday night Lauren and I hosted our first small get together. Our friends came to our place to pre-game before going to the discoteca. We played king’s then we went over to Hannigan’s for a quick drink (Hannigan's is the only place I've found so far that makes decent drinks). We had to get to the club before the early hours of 2 a.m. so we could get in free.
The place we went to was called, El Camborio, which I liked a lot better than the one we went to last week. It’s in the Albaicin Neighborhood overlooking the Alhambra. The atmosphere was great and they didn’t repeat any of the songs like at Granada 10. It was definitely one of the best nights I’ve had and I should also say, the most successful!
The only problem with staying up ‘til 6 in the morning, dancing the night away with your friends and a hot Dutchman, is that you are too tired the next day to do anything productive.
Saturday, we took a day trip to Córdoba with the school. We started the day at the site of the Medina Azahara, the royal palace outside Córdoba. Unfortunately, the site is closed to Visitors so we only went through the museum of some of the artifacts there.
We went back into town and started a walking tour of the old Judería, to see the medieval synagogue. Then we had an hour and a half of free time, so Lauren and I (and most of the other girls on the trip) made it our mission to find H&M. Luckily, it was close by and easy to get to.
We had an afternoon tour of the Mosque/Cathedral, and let me just say how exquisite it is! Since I’ve been here I’ve become a big fan of Islamic Architecture. Everything is so detailed and precise. People don’t build things like this anymore. Not only that, but it’s quite amazing to see the transformation of the site. It was originally a Cathedral, turned Mosque during Muslim occupation, and turned back into a Cathedral. The history here is just incredible, and it makes me feel humbled to have the experience of seeing it for myself. I'm sad we didn't get to spend more time in the city. 
Palabra del día: plancha meaning hair-straightener. Lauren needs a new one and she just told me that's what it means in Spanish...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...